Deodorant is something that we all need and use every day throughout the year. We rely on it to keep us feeling and smelling fresh and clean through stress sweats, exercise sessions, and the hottest days of summer.
But what if traditional deodorants aren’t enough? Or if our sensitive skin reacts poorly to them? Or what if we simply want a deodorant that isn’t packed in plastic and full of potentially harmful chemicals? Chemicals that are bad for us and the planet.
Many people have allergic reactions, including rashes, to regular deodorants. These skin problems lead them to look for something better. And even those who don’t have adverse reactions may worry about the potential consequences of using aluminum-based products.
Others still are on the simple journey to use fewer plastic products and leave a better legacy to future generations. Whatever your reasoning may be, you’re here because you want to get away from traditional deodorants. We get it.
The fact that there are so many questions about traditional deodorants is a sign in itself that something has to change. But fear not, there is a better way to stay fresh. Enter to the scene, our white knight skincare product: deodorant cream!
What is a Deodorant Cream?
Zero-waste deodorants come in several options. One of the preferred options is an easy-to-use cream. It may not take the same shape as the plastic sticks or aerosol sprays that you’re used to, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll never want to go back!
Swipe some on each morning and leave your armpits smelling fresh all day. Like traditional deodorants, these natural creams neutralize underarm odor and absorb wetness. But they do it without all the potential skin concerns and damage to the environment.
What is it Made Of?
There is some variety in natural deodorant ingredients, depending on the brand, scent, target audience, and additional factors. But one thing that’s true across the board with natural plastic-free deodorants is that they replace chemicals and fillers with the good stuff.
Ours, for example, is made with natural ingredients like arrowroot powder, coconut oil, and unrefined shea butter. Natural zero-waste deodorants should not contain aluminum or other harsh-sounding ingredients. And they get bonus points in our book if they, like ours, also skip the baking soda.
While baking soda is much more natural than most other traditional deodorant ingredients, that doesn’t mean it’s good for us. Baking soda is an alkaline substance, which means that it raises the pH level of our skin.
And with raised pH levels, many people experience irritation, including dry skin, redness or red patches, itchiness, and painful rashes. Despite its usefulness in combatting odors, baking soda is not designed to be rubbed on our skin.
But baking soda isn’t even the biggest of our concerns when it comes to traditional deodorant options. The next ingredient we want to talk about may be much worse.
Why is Aluminum Bad for You?
Aluminum is present in many traditional deodorant options. This ingredient contains salts that prevent sweat from making its way to the surface of your skin. But there are many theories about potential health problems from long-term aluminum exposure.
Some of these problems are milder, like skin irritation and hives. Itchiness and tingling are two others. However, the greater concern is the theory that it may be linked to more severe allergic reactions, kidney problems, Alzheimer’s disease, and diseases like breast cancer.
National Kidney Foundation cautions people with extremely weak kidney functions about the health risks of using antiperspirants. It’s cold comfort that this warning applies only to those with extremely weak kidney functions.
People with weak kidneys can’t filter the aluminum quickly enough. But for those with normally functioning kidneys, most can process the aluminum absorbed from antiperspirants and other cosmetics. Now, the breast cancer concern.
The same article tells us about research from the National Center for Biotechnology Information, which suggests that frequent use of antiperspirants can cause aluminum to accumulate in breast tissue. But they maintain that this doesn’t prove that it can cause breast cancer.
While many of the danger theories around aluminum-containing cosmetics seem to remain primarily unfounded, the fact that this information is even out there is enough to drive many people away from products containing aluminum.
Further research is needed to confirm or deny the allegations against aluminum-containing cosmetics and deodorants. But many of us would rather not wait for that time to come. After all, it’s always better to be safe, isn’t it?
Why is Deodorant Cream Better Than Traditional Plastic Deodorants?
Natural deodorant creams are better than traditional deodorants for a variety of reasons. To be brief, they’re better for the environment and better for our skin. And this applies to everything about them, from the ingredients used to the way they’re packaged.
Zero-waste deodorant nixes the chemicals, fillers, plastics, and other wasteful components. It uses natural ingredients like coconut oil to nourish your skin and fight odor-causing bacteria. And there’s no plastic involved anywhere in the process.
Most natural deodorants come in cardboard tubes or glass jars. While the delivery method might be different, you’ll still get the coverage you need throughout the day, and you won’t have to throw a plastic tube away when your deodorant is used up.
While it’s hard to say how long these specific products take to decompose, plastics used in cosmetics like deodorant can last for centuries in a landfill or ocean. That’s right, that plastic deodorant tube someone threw away last year could take more than 450 years to decompose.
And nobody wants to see that happen, especially when there are much better options out there now, and new ones being added to the list each day. Small changes can add up to big differences, and we all have a part to play in leaving behind a better legacy!
Ingredients to Look for
We’ve already mentioned that many people prefer deodorants that don’t contain aluminum or baking soda. But what ingredients do they look for instead? Well, the answer may vary, but one thing stays the same: they should be natural ingredients.
Our deodorant creams are made with arrowroot powder, coconut oil, and unrefined shea butter. Other natural deodorant ingredients might include cornstarch, essential oils, and aloe leaf juice. It depends on the brand, the scent, and other similar factors.
Many natural ingredients are effective at killing bacteria and preventing odors. But a good rule of thumb is to look for keywords like organic, essential, and unrefined. Plant names, like aloe, and fruit-based essential oils, like coconut, are also good words to look for.
When you’re searching for eco-friendly products, our best advice is to look for natural ingredients, the right keywords, plastic-free shipping, and positive reviews. Further, Google ingredients you don’t recognize and trust your instincts.
The Best Natural Deodorant Cream
Our natural deodorant cream is handmade in small batches in Arizona, so you’re getting the best ingredients, the best methods, and supporting a local community. Because it’s aluminum-free, baking soda-free, organic, and vegan, it’s ideal for even the most sensitive underarms.
The EcoRoots’ deodorant cream comes in four options: coconut or unscented, lavender or eucalyptus mint. Our customers love each one, so the choice comes down to personal preference. Because there are no chemicals or heavy fillers, the coconut scent is simple, light, and fresh.
The Lavender scent is highly versatile helping to heal irritation, calm inflammation and combat bacteria. All our natural deodorant cream will leave you smelling fresh all day. Arrowroot powder and potent essential oils combat bacteria responsible for underarm odor, while nourishing plant oils and butters soothe and condition the underarm skin. We never use synthetic fragrances in any of our products.
The eucalyptus mint scent is herbal, earthy and refreshing. The deodorant cream applies like a dream - a smooth, non-greasy application with no residue. And it works like a charm with effective odor protection all day long. All our deodorants are packaged in glass jars with metal lids. Our ingredients are sustainably and ethically sourced, and we focus on supporting small and local businesses.
The unscented option is clean and natural. We recommend this one if you have excessively sensitive skin or a sensitive sense of smell. But either one is light enough to use on sensitive skin. Each option comes in a decorative, reusable glass jar with a recyclable metal lid.
This size jar is perfect for storing hair ties, bamboo floss, or other small bathroom objects! Repurposing is one of the cornerstones of living a healthier, happier, eco-friendlier life. But before you can refill your deodorant jar, you’ll need to know how to use it. Let’s talk about that next.
How to Use Your Natural Deodorant
It doesn’t come in an aerosol can with a push-button to spray it. And it doesn’t come in a plastic tube you roll up from the bottom before rubbing it across your underarms. So, how do you use your new deodorant cream?
Thankfully, it’s simple! This deodorant is easy to apply and has a nice, light, and creamy texture. With clean hands, scoop out a pea-sized amount of the deodorant from the jar. Then, use your fingertips to gently rub it in your underarms until it is fully absorbed. Or you can use our biodegradable bamboo spatula and apply a pea-sized amount onto clean and dry pits.
A pea-sized amount of deodorant may not look like much in your hand but trust us: a little bit goes a long way. There are no essential oils or other fragrances added to the unscented option, but the unrefined shea butter gives it a subtle, natural scent.
And with the addition of coconut essential oil, the coconut option gives your underarms a light, tropical touch! Both options work well to neutralize underarm odor and absorb wetness to keep you feeling and smelling fresh all day.
While natural deodorant is safe for nearly everyone, there are a few situations in which you may not want to use it. If you have broken skin under your arms, skipping the products is a general rule of thumb. You should also discontinue use if irritation occurs.
Zero waste deodorants made with natural, organic, vegan, and otherwise healthy ingredients are far less likely to cause problems, but everyone reacts differently. The best way to discover what works best for you is to keep trying products until you find the right one.
Natural products give you a head start in that area. They eliminate many of the most common product problems, so you can find the right one faster.
What EcoRoots Customers are Saying About Our Zero-Waste Deodorant
Like most things in life, the eco-friendly journey is enhanced by the presence of others. If you’re on the fence about using natural deodorant, it may help to see what others are saying about it. So, here are some of the most recent reviews of our zero-waste deodorant cream:
- “Easy to use! Smells nice! Love no plastic involved in this product [thumbs up emoji].”
- “I’ve been experimenting with different types and brands of natural deodorants for about a year until I found this one. Every other brand I’ve tried has either suffocated my armpits and made them sweatier or didn’t cover the smell for longer than a couple hours. This is the only one I’ve found that lets my pits breathe and leaves them smelling fresh all day! I highly recommend this deodorant to anyone that’s had the same problems as me.”
- “I am surprised how well it works. I have tried non-aluminum deodorants and they don’t work for me. I really like this one.”
- “Amazing! I have super sensitive skin, and I have tried so many natural deodorants, and this is one of the only deodorants that doesn’t give me a rash. Forever customer. Thank you!”
97% of our shoppers gave this product five stars. And, so you know that we’re not biased, here is the only review we received that got less than five stars:
- “I kinda wish there was a better way to apply the cream without having to use my bare hands but overall a wonderful product that works incredibly well and smells great.”
This review received four stars, and we get it. Using your hands to apply your deodorant may take some getting used to, but as soon as you do, you’ll find that there’s no going back! Natural deodorant is better for the people and better for the planet.
When it comes to switching to eco-friendly products, small sacrifices, like learning a new way to apply your cosmetics, are worth the trade-off!
The Importance of Plastic-Free Packaging
Before we wrap things up, we want to cover two more topics: the importance of plastic-free packaging and other skincare products we recommend adding to your eco-friendly lineup. Plastic-free packaging is crucial in developing an eco-friendly lifestyle.
After all, why go through all that trouble to eliminate plastics, chemicals, and other unnatural and unwanted ingredients just to ship them out wrapped in plastic. At EcoRoots, we believe that the eco-friendly lifestyle should be holistic.
That’s why we wrap and ship entirely plastic-free. We use cardboard boxes, recyclable packing paper, paper tape, and similar supplies. The containers for our products are often recyclable or compostable, too.
More Natural and Zero-Waste Skincare Products to Add to Your Lineup
Because we use it every day, zero-waste deodorant cream is a great place to start. With natural ingredients and a decorative reusable jar, it’s hard to beat a product that’s better for you and better for our environment, too.
But when you find an eco-friendly product you like this much, it’s hard to stop there! Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered, with more natural and zero-waste skincare products to add to your eco-friendly lineup:
- Zero-waste deep hydrating face mist (preps the skin for moisturizer, helps set makeup, softens and soothes skin, and quickly tightens up pores!)
- Everything balm body moisturizer (forms a protective, breathable barrier over your skin and gently moisturizes, calms, and soothes.)
- Zero-waste rose water toner (soothes skin and restores balance and hydration.)
- Organic reusable cotton rounds (soft and versatile, these are perfect for applying toner, moisturizer, or other facial care products.)
- Zero-waste facial soap bar (leaves your skin clean, soft, and hydrated, and comes in charcoal tea tree scent, shea oatmeal, or orange bergamot.) Pair with our soap saver bag for a zero waste routine.
- Rosehip facial cream (luxurious and fast-absorbing moisturizing facial cream for daily use – day and night.) Here is more information about zero waste face moisturizer.
- Organic body soap (a clean, natural, and refreshing cleanser for all body types, in lavender, patchouli, peppermint, tangerine lavender, lemongrass, grapefruit calendula, or spearmint sage scent.)
- Organic body scrub (gently exfoliates, nourishes, and hydrates your skin; in coconut sugar, peppermint sea salt, or turmeric sea salt options; apply with our natural loofah, loofah scrubber to exfoliate or gently massage your skin as you shower.)
- Pumpkin enzyme mask (soothes and revitalizes the skin, smoothing the appearance of fine lines, uneven complexions, and blemishes.)
- Best bar soap: Bamboo charcoal and tea tree facial soap (naturally cleans your skin and leaves it feeling healthy and soft; can also be used on the body.)
- Best bar soap: Oatmeal soap (packed with vitamins and moisturizing shea butter, so it’s great for all skin types, but especially sensitive or dry skin.)
- Zero-waste shampoo and conditioner bars (choose Moroccan oil, forest mist, cocolime colada, summer breeze, honeydew, citrus fresh, lilac flowers, fresh mint, lavender, or unscented.) Learn more about shampoo and conditioner bars. Pair with our bamboo soap dish to extend the life of your bar.
- Zero-waste dry shampoo (absorbs residue and odor to support healthy hair between washes.) Learn more about natural dry shampoo here.
- Natural hair oil (enriched with vitamins and natural oils to promote healthy hair growth and elasticity, reduce split ends and frizz, and prevent heat damage.)
These are just some of the many examples of natural, better-for-your-body products we have here at EcoRoots. Our zero-waste self-care lineup has you covered from head to toe! Because an eco-friendly body is a happy, healthy one.And when you’re done shopping skincare, we recommend checking out our eco-friendly home and kitchen, including our zero waste laundry detergent. Learn more about laundry detergent sheets here.